Sunday, October 22, 2006

Still moving forward...

Progress picture!


Dragon Scale Gauntlets, 10/22/06

You can't really see the pattern well there, but oh well.

I have started the FOURTH REPEAT (I am 4 rows in right now), aka where things get slightly more interesting because I start decreasing (just 4 stitches over 12 rows, nothing major). I tried to put a lifeline in after the end of the third repeat (which I finished in class on Wednesday), but didn't manage it. The stitches are tight enough on the needles that I had to slip them onto the yarn needle, and then back onto a knitting needle from the yarn needle, and in doing so I started dropping stitches (thank god for the lifeline that was then threaded through them!). They were a bitch to pick up again (one got pulled THROUGH the stich below it, the chart work is so tight), and a bitch to get the lifeline through in the first place, and so I gave up. I'll probably rue the day when I drop another stitch... but oh well.

The chart section is now 6 3/4", and the ribbing is 7", meaning that a) I have knitted another 2 1/2" on each section, and b) my strategy of making my row gauges on the chart vs. the ribbing more even by knitting the ribbing really tightly has worked. I've knitted about a repeat and a half in the last week. Four rows at knitting group today. If I keep doing about 4 rows/hour, I'll manage something slightly over a repeat each week (assuming 3 hours class time in which I'm partly knitting, partly taking notes, and 1 hour dedicated knitting with my knitting group), and should be done with this gauntlet in about a month. Looks like that scarf for Grandma won't be done in time for Christmas, but oh well, I can always give it to her another time.

No comments: