Sunday, August 20, 2006

DONE!

I finished my scarf!



Scarf!



Me wearing finished scarf


(no, I don't know what I'm doing with my hand in that picture...)


Here's a closeup of the stitch pattern, and of the interesting stuff that happened at the color changes:




scarf stitch pattern



Pattern: Seven rows of garter stitch on either end; four sts garter on either side (slipping the first stitch of each row purlwise), with three repeats of this stitch pattern in the middle.

Yarn: Caron Simply Soft in Autumn Red and... umm... blue. (Can't find the ballband...) The better part of 2 skeins.

Time: Slightly over a month. Probably about 20-25 hours (hey, I'm a beginner, so I'm slow. ;) )

Notes: This came out to be about 3 1/2' long and about 8 1/2" wide. It's a little on the short side, but not terribly so.

After the first couple of repeats, I noticed that the previous color was creeping up along the edge into the new color on one side of the scarf:



scarf edge color changes -- messy


I didn't appreciate that, so instead of slipping the first stitch of the first WS row after the color change, I knitted it. That fixed the problem.



scarf edge color changes -- fixed!


All of my pictures relating to this project can be found here.

This was a good first pattern for me. It was simple enough (only 4 repeating rows) that I had it pretty much memorized by the end, but complex enough that I didn't get remotely bored until I was just eager to finish because I'd bought the yarn for my next project.


Speaking of that next project...

I am swatching. (Oh, the p2k2 ribbing, will it never end?!) Gauge seems wonky... I might be making gauge in terms of sts/in (hard to tell until I get it off the needles), but I definitely am way off in terms of rows/in -- it's supposed to be 32 rows = 4", and I think I've just hit 4" with 8 rows left to go! *sigh* Oh well... Actually, since it's really horizontal, not vertical gauge that matters here -- I can always take out a pattern repeat, or just have long armwarmers -- as long as my horizontal gauge is basically okay, I'll be happy.



(crossposted, sans babbling about swatches, to the knitting LJ community)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Smexy scarf!!

fleurdiabolique said...

Thank you! :)