Sunday, July 16, 2006

Baby's First Mistake

...okay, not my first. But my first on a real project when I wasn't just messing around.

What happened was simple: I finished row 2 in the pattern, forgot to mark that I'd finished row 2, put my knitting down. Picked it up again later, looked at my notes to see where I'd stopped, and started knitting row 2. Again. Twice through the pattern rep I had to set it down, and when I picked it up again I immediately saw that I'd been doing an awful lot of purling for being on the right side of the fabric.

Oopsie.

Well, I learned to un-knit. I probably have twisted some stitches, but oh well -- not sure how to tell if they're twisted before knitting them, and I certainly won't want to rip back to un-twist them once I've gotten far enough forward to see that they're twisted (not to mention I'd probably just twist others trying to un-knit that row again).

I modified my plan and only did 20 rows of red, then 12 rows of blue. I'm back in red now. It's about 8" long (wow, did I really knit six inches in a week?!). Sorry no pictures this week; I spent my alloted weekend knitting-related time frogging the misknit row instead -- I definitely think that that's something I can't do in class while still paying enough attention.

No comments: