Sunday, April 23, 2006

Some background

Hi.

So... me. Or, at least, me in relation to knitting, which is after all the subject of this blog.

I've gone through many crafty periods in my life (watercolors, embroidery, braiding, ...) but I wasn't even really interested in knitting until probably eight months ago, when someone whose blog I read started posting about her knitting. I decided I wanted to try. And a couple of months ago, on a fencing-team trip in Colorado Springs, I picked up a pair of kneedles and some yarn and an instruction book, and started to learn.

Currently there isn't really much to say. I finished a garter-stitch swatch to practice knitting and purling, and am now working on another swatch to practice stockinette, ribbing, and perhaps increases/decreases. But I only do a row or two every few nights when I have the time before bed, and given how much work I have and the fact that it's midterm season I don't have a lot of time, so things are going slowly at the moment. I did an inch of stockinette (that is the one where you alternate knit and purl rows, right?), and now I'm working on an inch of k1p1 ribbing. Then k2p2 ribbing, and maybe I'll try k3p3 just to see what it looks like... or maybe not. And then probably increases and decreases. Oh, and I have to practice changing yarn too, and weaving in loose ends. Once all that's done, I'll start in on a scarf with the yarn that I have left.

...so expect to hear about my spiffy new scarf sometime next November.

;)

I plan to post every Sunday. If there hasn't been much progress, it'll probably be short and sweet.

No comments: