Sunday, April 30, 2006

Progress! And learning! And fun stuff like that!

I almost thought I wouldn't have anything to say this week because I have been getting to bed really late -- thus no time for knitting. But then I discovered that knitting is a good way to keep my hands busy while I study for midterms. So I've added probably four inches to my swatch this week. :)

The first thing I've started working on is just knitting more loosely. My swatch is kind of ugly now because the width increases dramatically (when I feel like taking and uploading pictures I'll upload a piccie -- probably I'll do it when the swatch is done). But I finished the k1p1 and k2p2 ribbing, and they both look pretty good. Now am practicing increases and decreases. My bar increases keep making little holes in the fabric, which I don't think they're supposed to do... that's not what it looks like in the picture in my book, anyway. I think I'm confused about how to knit into the back loop of a stitch. Even the video I watched at knittinghelp.com didn't fully clarify for me. Oh well. k2tog, which is the decrease I've been practicing, also looks like it's creating holes. Maybe I need to knit more tightly when I do increases/decreases...? Probably when I've finished the swatch and have accumulated all of my "what am I doing wrong" kinds of questions, I'll make a big introductory post on the knitting LJ community and see if I can get some good advice.

In other news, the stockinette at the bottom of my swatch is really curling, and it's irritating me.

No comments: